Hi friends! I’m back and ready to roll. I promised you I’d have a delicious recipe for you upon my return today and I living up to that promise. At least I hope you find this as delicious as I do.
If your loved one “doesn’t like chocolate,” just forgo the final step of dunking the scone into the melty goodness. But don’t be surprised if they then go off and eat the last half of your giant chocolate chip cookie you had been saving for an afternoon snack.
Doesn’t make sense to me either…
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Scones
(Scones adapted from Eat.Live.Run)
Makes 8 scones
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped strawberries (about 5 large berries)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine milk, vanilla and chopped strawberries. Stir and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk well. Use a handheld pastry mixture to cut in the cold butter pieces. Continue to blend until butter pieces are cut up and well distributed throughout the mixture.
4. Pour the milk and berry mixture into the dry ingredients. Add sour cream. Using a rubber spatula, stir to combine while scraping down the sides as needed.
5. Set entire batch of dough on the cookie tray and pat down so it’s about 3 inches thick. Use a serrated knife to cut dough into triangles. Separate scones evenly on pan, at least 1-2 inches apart. Bake 14-15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave on pan until completely cooled.
6. Meanwhile, add chocolate to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Let chocolate begin to warm for 1-2 minutes then begin to stir continuously until all morsels are melted. One at a time, dip the scones upside down into pan. Gently turn back over and let cool on wire rack or sheet of foil. Let cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving.