And with that, I’m off to yoga to fight off these negative energies (well, I actually already went to yoga, but originally typed this post early this morning beforehand). Another solution to put yourself in a good mood: Make this apple pie, add a big scoop of ice cream and just see if you can keep a smile off your face. I bet you can’t. Take that, negative energy!
1 pie crust (I used a store bought crust)
4 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crumble topping-
1 cup oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
+Vanilla ice cream for serving, highly recommended
1. Roll out the pie crust and lay in 9-inch pie pan. Press down around the sides of the pan and trim any crust hanging over the sides. Place in freezer for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir until well combined. Pour mixture into pie crust and set aside.
4. In a bowl (I use the same one used for the apple mixture to reduce clean up), add oats, brown suga, flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir well and shake over top of the apple mixture in the pie pan. Distribute butter pieces evenly on top.
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Be sure to check on pie after 20 minutes of baking – cover with foil if the crust is becoming too brown for the remainder of bake time.
6. Remove from oven and let cool 10-20 minutes. Slice and serve with a BIG scoop of vanilla ice cream.