I have to know…
Is there such thing as a person who doesn’t like Oreos?
That’s not possible, right?
Every time I eat an Oreo after not having had one in awhile, I am reminded of how good they are. Homemade desserts are hard to beat, but there is something special about Oreos. I used to buy them all the time during college. Those were not the healthiest days of my life, that’s for sure.
Since they don’t come around as often anymore, I like to make the most of it when they do. Like crushing them up and mixing them into cupcake batter, for example.
Then maybe eating one or two on the side just for good measure.
Cookies ‘n Cream Cupcakes
(Adapted from Annie’s Eats)
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes-
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
20 Oreos cookies (chocolate cookie part only), chopped
For the frosting-
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
5 cups powdered sugar (plus 1/2 cup more if needed)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Crushed Oreo cookie crumbs for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set Oreo halves in each well with cream filling facing upwards and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand alone mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg whites one at a time, beating on medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla, then milk. Beat until just combined. Stir in chopped Oreo cookies.
4. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
5. While cupcakes are baking, prepare frosting by adding cream cheese and butter in bowl of stand alone mixer. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and continue to beat until well incorporated. Slowly add powdered sugar, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Add heavy cream and beat until smooth.
6. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs as desired.