Last week I stuck a few brown bananas in the freezer knowing I could keep them there to wait until it was time I make one of the 100 banana recipes I have pinned. Then about two days later, I noticed a whole bunch of bananas in the snack basket (one of the best things about my work) at my office that had turned completely brown as well. I wasn’t about to let those babies get thrown away, so I made the executive decision to adopt them myself. I gave them a home in my freezer with the other browned bananas and suddenly I had just about enough to bake every single banana recipe I could want.
Since I would need to quit my real job to be able to bake as much as I wanted, I knew I needed to play favorites and only pick the recipes that looked exceptionally delicious…for now anyway.
Banana Bread Snack Cake
(Slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is)
Makes 16 squares
For the cake-
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
For the glaze-
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
To make the cake-
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium/large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and mashed bananas. Whisk until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir until just combined. Add butter and stir until evenly incorporated.
3. Pour batter into pan and bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
4. Remove from oven and cool about 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Drizzle glaze overtop and dig in!
To make the glaze-
1. Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Stir with spoon until smooth.