IT”S HERE! Friday never felt so good. Besides last Friday, and the Friday before that, and the Friday before that….ok so every Friday feels pretty good, huh?
You know what else feels pretty good? Eating something so healthy, nutritious and delicious. Like black bean burgers for example!
Morning Star’s Spicy Black Bean Burgers have become a staple in our freezer. They are not just for me either, Greg loves them too. For the longest time I ate them simply by themselves or over a bed of lettuce. Then I discovered how great black bean burgers taste on English muffins.
And thennnn I took a swing at making the patties from scratch.
The verdict? Ahhh mazing. These tasted just like Morning Star’s, but the patties were even thicker. AKA, better! If you possibly have any doubts or hesitations about black bean burgers, I just have one thing to say: Don’t knock it til you try it.
This is one recipe I will make again and again.
Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4 patties
1 1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/3 cup cooked corn kernels
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat George Foreman Grill or skillet to medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, add about half of the black beans. Mash well with a fork. Add remaining beans, corn, garlic and spices. Stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add egg and breadcrumbs. Whisk to combine.
4. Add egg and breadcrumb mixture to bean mixture. Stir all ingredients together until well combined.
5. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal parts. Use hands to form into patties. Place on grill or skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately on top of English muffins or hamburger buns.
Serving suggestion: Top cooked patties with guacamole, salsa, and/or cheese.