Two. That’s the number I got when I counted my cupcakes.
Yup, that’s right. These two little cupcakes were the entire batch. But sometimes that’s all you really need… emphasis on sometimes. It’s rare, but true.
As much as I love to bake, batches that make 12, 24, 36 servings or more can be a bit too much for two people. I always know I can bring extras to work and they will be gone within five minutes, but it’s better just not to have the temptation of 40 cookies sitting around my house for any extended period of time (like one hour).
I really don’t like having to halve recipes all the time, so I was excited to find this recipe that would not force me to do so. If anything, I wanted to double it!
Cupcakes for two. One for me. One for….me? Ugh, fine. I guess I’ll share. One for me and one for the boyfriend. But only because I knew this would be something he actually might enjoy. Remember, he doesn’t always like the extra-sweet treats and desserts I make. Before I could even force him to try it, he asked ME first if he was getting one. That never happens! Unless it’s something like this. But he’s kind of cute so I couldn’t say no.
My mom gave me these adorable little cupcake liners for Valentine’s Day this past year. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to use them then because I had already baked all of my holiday goods by the time I got them. Who says you can’t eat heart-shaped things any time of the year though? Well, Greg does.
“It’s not Valentine’s Day!” he said when he saw me pouring the batter into these. So what? There’s no rule against that! Anything pink and heart-shaped is cute enough to make/eat all year round.
These were quick and easy and now I’m not left with 100 extra to tempt me 🙂 Although I kind of wish I had another…
Vanilla-Coconut Cupcakes (for two)
(Adapted from How Sweet It Is)
Makes 2 cupcakes
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting-
(Enough for two cupcakes)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with two liners, or if using silicone liners like I did, place liners on cookie sheet.
2. In a small/medium bowl, whisk together egg white and sugar until combined.
3. Add vanilla and butter and stir until combined.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until smooth. Stir in milk.
5. Pour batter evenly into the two liners and bake 10-12 minutes.
6. Let cool and frost (directions for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting below). Sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes.
To prepare the frosting:
1. Beat softened butter until creamy.
2. Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time until well combined.
3. Add buttermilk and vanilla and beat until well combined.